Thursday, July 28, 2011

Review: The Crippled God by Steven Erikson


Synopsis:

The Bonehunters march for Kolanse, where waits an unknown fate. Tormented by questions, the army totters on the edge of mutiny, but Adjunct Tavore will not relent. One final act remains, if it is in her power, if she can hold her army together, if the shaky allegiances she has forged can survive all that is to come. A woman with no gifts of magic, deemed plain, unprepossessing, displaying nothing to instill loyalty or confidence, Tavore Paran of House Paran means to challenge the gods -- if her own troops don't kill her first...




...Elsewhere, the three Elder Gods, Kilmandaros, Errastas and Sechul Lath, work to shatter the chains binding Korabas, the Otataral Dragon, and release her from her eternal prison. Once freed, she will be a force of utter devastation, and against her no mortal can stand. At the Gates of Starvald Demelain, the Azath House sealing the portal is dying. Soon will come the Eleint, and once more, there will be dragons in the world. And so, in a far away land and beneath indifferent skies, the final cataclysmic chapter in the extraordinary 'Malazan Book of the Fallen' begins.

Review:
Well, here we are. At the very end. Obviously this is a very long series of books and it has taken a great investment of time to read them all. I’ve been reading about these characters for so long that I feel like I’m losing some members of my own family after finishing The Crippled God.

Steven Erikson did the impossible, he tied up all his loose ends. *grins* I was worried that he’d forget at least one character or story line. But they all came together to make up an ending that was satisfying and brilliant. As far as getting into actual events, I don’t want to ruin anything by giving it away.

From what I’ve heard, people either love Erikson or hate him. I am on the love side of that debate. These books are not a light read, for sure, but that being said, I feel like they really mean something. Erikson’s insight into human nature is mind-blowing. He seamlessly weaves his commentary into the voices, thoughts and actions of his characters. Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God have given me a window into the author’s head, into the things that he thinks are important, and he does it in a way that is not preachy or annoying.

Now let’s talk ‘dramatis personae’, as Erikson likes to call them. Rich. The people in these books are so real to me. I realized a few books into this series that I was never given a direct description of a lot of the characters, but I knew what they looked like just by how they were written, and I don’t think that is easy to do as a writer. When it comes to dialogue Steven Erikson is Boss. He can make you laugh, cry, get angry, whatever with one simple statement. The dialogue and banter amongst his characters is what really makes this series special. He doesn't just give you a 'good' or 'bad' guy, he gives you every piece of that person. They are flawed, and I love that.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. Great book. Amazing series. Genius author.




Source: My own bookshelf

2 comments:

Jessi E. said...

I think it's awesome that these books are so good. Maybe someday I will need to read them!

Unknown said...

I think this series sounds very interesting. I will have to put it on my list to read. I love a good series that gets me attached to the characters. I hate it when a book ends and there's no sequel or anything. So depressing!