Monday, January 9, 2012

Review: Borrowed Heart by Linda Lamberson

Synopsis:
Evie Sanders is pretty good at heeding that gnawing feeling she gets when trouble rears its head—or at least she used to be. Things change when she meets Quinn Harrison one morning after class. Evie would never do anything intentionally to hurt her long-distance boyfriend or jeopardize their relationship, but she finds it increasingly difficult to resist Quinn. Just when things can’t seem to get any more complicated, Evie is involved in a fatal car accident. Yet, her death marks a new beginning—and her new existence as an immortal. It’s not long before Evie and Quinn’s paths cross again, and she finds herself trying to walk a fine line between bending the rules she must now obey and breaking them.


Review
I have a ton of good things to say about this book, but I'll start with the cover. There is something about it that I just love! After I got it in the mail, I kept picking it up to admire and fast-flip through the pages. I realize that has nothing to do with the inner workings...so I will move on :-)

The concept behind the plot of this story is fresh and unique. It's got a lot of familiar things in it, but sets itself apart in many ways. Evie is a plain-ish type girl going to college, minding her business when she meets Quinn. He makes her heart thump...but she has a boyfriend. She wants to do the right thing, but ends up dead in the process (I'm condensing here... ;-) Luckily, death is not the end for Evie.

As I said before, I really liked the idea behind this book. There were a ton of characters that I loved....and one or two I loved to hate. There's Evie's mentor, Peter. He is a figure of security for Evie, but still has a bit of mystery surrounding him. Evie is brash and thoughtless sometimes, but always for doing the things any normal person would. Her self-control is iffy at best...and I like that! On to Quinn. The first part of the book I found myself unsure of his motives and I didn't know a whole lot about him. Later on he becomes more transparent and, in turn, pretty darn sexy.

There was one part (towards the end) where I was telling my book 'Noooo!!'. I won't say why because that would spoil the fun, but I think there will be a lot more 'No-ing' in the next book.

A strong story that gains momentum as it goes along. I am very looking forward to Book 2!


Publication Date: August 4, 2011
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance
Source: Thanks so much to the author, Linda Lamberson, for my review copy.

Check out Borrowed Heart on:
Goodreads
Amazon - ebook $2.99
Barnes & Noble - ebook $2.99
<

No comments: